Sunday, January 15, 2012

'Visual Cues'

I have said many times that the best ideas come from your dreams! The worst thing about developing stories in this way is that without a computer for a brain it is unlikely that you will remember them. Clearly I have this problem but I do sometimes remember the most important aspects needed in order to jot them down in the morning!

So, what is it about our night time narratives that can spark something creative in our writing? I am not sure if it is the timed sequences that appear as black and white or if it is the very plot of my dreams that make a difference to my process. What I do know for sure is that every time I dream, especially if I am working on a piece, somehow my story comes to life and like a film, moves slowly to showcase the very next chapter I am working on. I guess the everyday chores that consume my life sometimes stand in the way of me writing these ideas down;  hence the vivid dreams!

I used to place a notebook and pen beside my bed just in case I woke with an idea, unfortunately my subconscious always woke me and I found myself up at 2am writing down incidental things instead of sleeping! So, I discarded the notebook and pen for a better nights sleep and it wasn't too long before my mornings were filled with some very exciting ideas!

Writing consumes my life with positivity and even though I still wake sometimes to a new instalment for what I am working on, I wouldn't have it any other way! I think in itself, dreams are there to help us bring out our ideas, so here's hoping your dreams are as creative as mine!

"Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you"- Marsha Norman

No comments:

Post a Comment